Sunday, December 8, 2013

"JULIANA"
Pastel
SOLD

This portrait sketch was done on ampersand pastel board with hard and soft pastels. The treatment of the hair is different than what the model presented, I felt the change was appropriate for my composition and I was quite pleased with the spontaneity of it. She was such a beautiful model, I thoroughly enjoyed working with her and have used her in several paintings.
I remember completing the piece and realizing that something was off - the portrait itself was quite lovely but something was just not right. Upon closer observation, it came to me, the ear was in the wrong position - what a shame - it was rendered beautifully. Well, beautiful or not it had to be fixed so I invited my young daughter (who is artistic herself) to watch as I redid the ear, the lesson being that you can make changes at any stage to improve the painting without condemning/discarding the work, something she was prone to do when she felt things didn't go quite as planned. Art after-all, is a series of corrections.

No comments:

Post a Comment